Coffee is one of our favorite drinks, mostly because it’s a necessity to start the day. After all, it is estimated that about 400 billion cups of coffee are consumed each year. Greeks, in particular, are at number 16 on the international coffee consumption list, which is why many researches refer to it as “our national drink”. So, we all know that coffee makes it easier for us to wake up. But what else can this popular drink offer us?
- It is a source of antioxidants
- It can improve memory and the process of information encoding
- It can protect us against type 2 diabetes and Parkinson’s disease
- It can help us in losing weight, because some of its ingredients make us feel full and that reduces the feeling of hunger
- It improves our energy levels
- It helps reduce body fat: several studies have shown that caffeine boosts our metabolic rate by 3-11%
- Its action enhances our reflexes and increases mental alertness
However, it is super important to remember that coffee we should always set some limits on coffee consumption. As much as we are used to drinking coffee, let’s try to limit it to 1 cup per day.