- Our body has about 5 billion cells and over 600 muscles. In fact, your tongue works with the help of 17 muscles that work together as a group, while in order to walk you need to coordinate about 200 muscles!
- The messages sent by the brain can travel up to 360 km per hour. with the help of the basic cells of the nervous system called neurons.
- Our tongue can recognize substances contained in food that are associated in the brain with flavors: sour, salty, sweet and bitter. What you may not know is that there is a fifth flavor, which is called “umami”, which means delicious in Japanese. It can be found in various foods, such as shellfish, spinach, green tea, shrimp and more.
- Our hearts will beat about 3 billion times during our entire life! Fortunately, it activates on its own at a rate of about 80 beats per minute. When we exercise our body needs 400 times more oxygen, so the heart pumps up to 30 liters of blood every minute!
- Humans are the only mammal that drinks milk during its entire life. This is possible thanks to the enzyme lactase, with which milk can be digested even in our adult life. This evolutionary change is estimated to have taken place over 7,500 years ago.
Source: “101 Fascinating Facts To Know About – Human Body”, by Brown Watson